“New York is no doubt one of the coolest cities to visit in the world. But planning a trip to New York can be a daunting task. Finding the best places to stay in New York can be difficult. Of course, being a popular tourist destination, there are several options.”
Totally Bamboo Destination New York State Shaped Serving and Cutting Board, Includes Hang Tie for Wall Display
But not only are many New York City hotels expensive but there are also a lot of factors to consider in making your choice. You must weigh the pros and cons of your choice of places to stay when you are on a visit to New York. To ensure that you find the perfect accommodation for you in the city, we have compiled the pros and cons of different neighborhoods in New York.
What are the Pros and Cons of Staying in Midtown, New York?
Midtown is the most central location you can stay in New York. It is most ideal for first-timers who want to take in as much of the city as they can within the shortest time possible. Because it is one of the top destinations for visitors, accommodation options are abundant here available in different price ranges.
- Super-central location
- Very well connected and easy to navigate
- An abundance of hotels for every budget range
- Numerous sights are within walking distance of your accommodation
- There are more tourists than locals here
- Not so many cool restaurants compared to other neighborhoods
- You might find the area too noisy
What are the Pros and Cons of Staying in the Upper East Side?
If you want to stay away from the noisy city center, you can consider staying in the Upper East Side. Your accommodation will most likely be close to central park. You also get to explore some of New York City’s most popular museums within a short distance of each other.
- Close to the major museums in New York
- Your accommodation will be right next door to Central park
- Quiet and serene neighborhood
- Hotels are slightly more expensive here
- Limited restaurants and bars (many of the available options are expensive)
- Not very proximate to the other sights of the city
What are the Pros and Cons of Staying in Chelsea & Greenwich Village?
For a more immersive experience of New York City life, the neighborhoods of Chelsea and Greenwich village should be your top considerations. They are not tourist-dominated so you are more likely to get a closer and authentic feel of the New York City life in this district.
LEGO Architecture Empire State Building 21046 New York City Skyline Architecture Model Kit for Adults and Kids, Build It Yourself Model Skyscraper (1767 Pieces)
- A more immersive and authentic feel of New York City life
- A huge selection of restaurants
- Stylish but reasonably priced hotels
- Close to some of the city’s major sights
- Not very close to the central part of New York and its sights
- Not a very quiet location especially in the nights and evenings
What are the Pros and Cons of Staying in Soho and East Village?
The Soho and East village neighborhoods are also typical residential areas rather than tourist hotspots. This area is well known for its hippy and art lifestyle. You won’t find any of the super-famous New York city sights here but if you want to get a feel of the art, music, and cuisines of New York, this area has you covered.
Frommer’s New York City day by day
- It is a residential area
- Numerous bars, restaurants, and stores
- Several affordable accommodations and dining options
- The East Village area is not very well connected
- Famous tourist sites are not nearby.
What are the Pros and Cons of Staying in Queens?
If you are on a tight budget but would still want to get great accommodation in New York, Queens is the district to stay. You don’t need to spend more than 200 euros on decent accommodation in this part of the city. Getting to Midtown New York from Queens is also very easy. It’s just a short 15 minutes subway ride to many of the most famous sights New York has to offer.
New York: An Illustrated History (Revised and Expanded)
- Affordable and still quality accommodation
- Fairly close to some of the city’s most important sights
- Beautiful view of the city’s skyline
- Queens is outside of Manhattan
- You’ll need to take a subway to see popular sights
Is Airbnb illegal in New York?
In recent years, there has been a crackdown on short-term rentals and Airbnb accommodations in New York City. Although Airbnb isn’t exactly illegal, it is governed by very tight restrictions and defaulters are hit with huge fines if caught. According to the laws governing short-term rentals in the city, it is illegal to rent out an apartment for less than 30 days at a time. Thus if you plan to stay for less than a month, staying in an Airbnb apartment will not be possible unless a natural permanent resident is present in the apartment.
Navigating accommodation in New York can be tough and it is even tougher as a tourist. Cost is high and knowing the right neighborhood to stay in to fully enjoy your visit can be difficult. However, by weighing the pros and cons of different locations you will be able to narrow down your option and make the right choice for you.
aGiftcube New York City – Infinity cube for nyc souvenirs– Smart Puzzle Cube with 10 New York Photos, Holder and Stickers – Premium Photo Paper Infinite Cube for New York decor
Read More Our Review:
- 8 Best Places to Visit in New York
- What You Need to Know About the Top Places To Go in New York –Parks and Gardens
- Are These Some of the Best Places To Go in New York City? – Museums and Memorials in New York
- Where Are the Places To Go In New York? – Famous Buildings and Landmarks
- Where Are The Top Places To Stay In New York?
- Is New York City Worth Visiting? – Things To Do When You’re In New York
- What are the Pros and Cons of These Places to Stay in New York?
- Are These Some Of The Best Neighborhoods And Places To Stay In New York?
- What Are the Top Things To Do In the 5 Boroughs Of New York City?